DHCP suddenly not working

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jun 10 17:36:24 UTC 2004

David Mackintosh wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:21:52AM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>

>>This was 7.2?  I can't recall...does that use pump or dhclient?  If it's
>>dhclient, have you tried running it manually to see what actually goes
>>on?  You might try the same thing if it uses pump (do a "man pump" to
>>find what debug options there are).
>

> Back in the day, I had a RedHat firewall on @Home's cable network.  I believe
> the vintage was 7.x, but I can't remember for sure.
>
> For what it's worth, here are my notes from that time:
>
> ----
> @Home is getting anal about dhcp.
>
> RedHat's default pump thing doesn't work, use dhcpcd instead.
> In /sbin/ifup, change the /sbin/pump command to
>
>          /sbin/dhcpcd -dR -I cr42217-a eth1
>
> ...where cr42217-a is this week's name assigned to you by @Home
> (you may have to use Windows to figure out what that is).
>
> Note that occasionally something seems to get f***ed up and you have
> to drop firewall protections in order to get a lease.  This is annoying.
> ----
>
> ...I believe that the -R switch told it not to mess with one of your
> /etc/resolv.conf and/or your default router (most likely the former).

Thanks for the info.

As far as the firewall, remember that you must accept data from port 68
over both TCP and UDP:

	-A INPUT --sport 68 -j ACCEPT

The options you specified for dhcpce are nothing new.  "-d" means to log
debug messages to syslog, "-H" means to set the hostname to that which
the DHCP server tells you.  The odd one is "-I".  Normally dhcpcd
behaves as if you used "-I" followed by the NIC's MAC address (hardware
address).  Where did you get the "cr42217-a" bit from?
-                      LOOK OUT!!! BEHIND YOU!!!                     -