yum update server

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jun 11 04:46:37 UTC 2004

Graeme Nichols wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 02:35, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>Graeme Nichols wrote:
>>
>>>Hello Folks,
>>>
>>>Could someone tell me if the following server (the default in the
>>>yum.conf file when yum is installed on my RH8 system) is the best for
>>>updating etc. my RH8 system 'cos it doesn't seem to work. The error
>>>message is to the effect that it cannot find it.
>>>
>>>http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/
>>
>>That's not correct.  If you want to update RH8 (which DOESN'T use yum by
>>default), you need to find a mirror of the Fedora Legacy project (8.0 is
>>not being maintained by Red Hat any longer).
>>
>>A valid yum mirror for current RH8.0 updates would be:
>>
>>http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
>>
>>See http://www.fedoralegacy.org for details.
>

> Thanks Rick, I have only just installed yum and I guessed the default
> server was not correct. I only want yum to update/install new versions
> of particular programs I need for specific purposes.
>
> RH8 has been really reliable for me and I find it comfortable to use. I
> can see no real reason to update it from a usability point of view but I
> know that eventually I will have to bite the bullet. The constant flow
> of new releases of RH/FC I find a real PITB. Four in the last 18-24
> months. Worse than Windows.:-) No sooner bed one down than you have a
> new release to contend with.

The number of updates for 8.0 scared me.  IMHO, it never should have
been released.  RH9 was far more stable.  However, since both are dead
now, I've switched to FC1.

I have FC2 boxes, too (an SMP P4 and an Opteron-64), but kernel 2.6 is a
bit too unstable for production use.  I am, however, handling over 20M
mail messages a day through four FC1 boxes.
-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -