adding swap partition

Ajai Khattri ajai at bway.net
Fri Jun 11 17:40:22 UTC 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Rick Stevens wrote:

> Yes, but that's just a rule of thumb.  It can vary widely, depending
> on what you ask the machine to do.  If you run a lot of big programs
> simultaneously, you'll want more swap.

True, it depends on the server usage. If you're planning memory upgrades
you may want to make it less (or more if you're running a big database
and dont have enough RAM). I suppose stuff like this falls under "fine
tuning" of a system and is a subject unto itself.

[In certain situations it may even make sense to have no swap at all - I
have NetBSD running off a 256Mb CF Card on an NEC MobilePro 780 (WinCE)
machine where you probably *dont* want constant swap writes wearing out
the flash card! (Mind you I configured that machine to run almost
nothing - at boot it has maybe 5 processes running and nothing else, not
even any virtual consoles. I have a wireless card in it and use it as a
very portable wireless ssh terminal ;-) ]