yum update server

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sat Jun 12 05:54:41 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 02:35, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:
> > Hello Folks,
> >
> > Could someone tell me if the following server (the default in the
> > yum.conf file when yum is installed on my RH8 system) is the best for
> > updating etc. my RH8 system 'cos it doesn't seem to work. The error
> > message is to the effect that it cannot find it.
> >
> > http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/
>
> That's not correct.  If you want to update RH8 (which DOESN'T use yum by
> default), you need to find a mirror of the Fedora Legacy project (8.0 is
> not being maintained by Red Hat any longer).
>
> A valid yum mirror for current RH8.0 updates would be:
>
> http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
>
> See http://www.fedoralegacy.org for details.

Hi Rick, I checked out the fedora legacy site and decided to follow
their advice. They gave instructions for setting up an RH8 system which
included updating rpm (several packages), python, gpg and popt. The rpm
packages required an update of my glibc, which I updated, again, several
packages. I already have a much later version of python and gpg than
they advised so I didn't update those. I updated yum to the version they
advised and yum.conf to match the one recommended. It uses:
http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/yum/updates/

as the url. So... all should be well, I hope :-)

Thanks again for all your help.

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

Public Key available from http://keyserver.kjsl.com:11371/#extract

A kid'll eat the middle of an Oreo, eventually.

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authourised.                        -