yum update server

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jun 14 15:58:51 UTC 2004

Graeme Nichols wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 02:35, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>Graeme Nichols wrote:
>>
>>>Hello Folks,
>>>
>>>Could someone tell me if the following server (the default in the
>>>yum.conf file when yum is installed on my RH8 system) is the best for
>>>updating etc. my RH8 system 'cos it doesn't seem to work. The error
>>>message is to the effect that it cannot find it.
>>>
>>>http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/
>>
>>That's not correct.  If you want to update RH8 (which DOESN'T use yum by
>>default), you need to find a mirror of the Fedora Legacy project (8.0 is
>>not being maintained by Red Hat any longer).
>>
>>A valid yum mirror for current RH8.0 updates would be:
>>
>>http://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
>>
>>See http://www.fedoralegacy.org for details.
>

> Hi Rick, I checked out the fedora legacy site and decided to follow
> their advice. They gave instructions for setting up an RH8 system which
> included updating rpm (several packages), python, gpg and popt. The rpm
> packages required an update of my glibc, which I updated, again, several
> packages. I already have a much later version of python and gpg than
> they advised so I didn't update those. I updated yum to the version they
> advised and yum.conf to match the one recommended. It uses:
> http://download.fedora.us/fedora/redhat/$releasever/$basearch/yum/updates/
>
> as the url. So... all should be well, I hope :-)

Actually, fedoralegacy suggests this yum.conf:

[base]
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever base
baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/os/$basearch

[updates]
name=Red Hat Linux $releasever updates
baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/updates/$basearch

[legacy-utils]
name=Fedora Legacy utilities for Red Hat Linux $releasever
baseurl=http://download.fedoralegacy.org/redhat/$releasever/legacy-utils/$basearch

And they have mirrors you can add to the baseurl directives.  The list
is here:

	http://www.fedoralegacy.org/download/fedoralegacy-mirrors.php

> Thanks again for all your help.

Glad to be of service, Graeme.
- Millihelen, adj: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. -