lacie "big disk and rh 7.3 SOLVED

chuck lawrence celawrence at lbl.gov
Tue Jun 15 20:46:27 UTC 2004

Rick Stevens (rstevens at vitalstream.com) sez...

|  > this is my first firewire excursion w/any os.  any thoughts or
|   experience out there?
|

|  As I said, the freeze issue may be similar to that on USB.  If so,
|  once the cache gets flushed, the system should respond again.  This
|  is one of the issues with serial interfaces--they're fast for read,
|  large writes slow down quite a bit.  The "out of space" is probably
|  an inode issue as 500GB is a big drive.
|
| Experimentation is your best bet here.  If you can sort it out, we'd
| sure like to know so we can stick it in the FAQs on the RHIL website.
| You'll get full credit, of course!

uhh, *you* sorted it out, sir.  you were exactly right about the inodes.
  I had used mkfs w/default values before.  mke2fs -n told me I had ~6m
inodes.  mke2fs -N 120000000 (12m) works just fine, so far.  I'm at 60gb
and writing.  it wasn't firewire at all.

the freezing behavior just went away, even before I did this.  it may be
something wildly erratic.  dunno.

thanks.  this isn't the first time you've made me look smart...

--

  | charles e. lawrence | lawrence berkeley nat'l lab |

                www-eng.lbl.gov/~lawrence