Video crash! (NVIDIA FX5200)

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 16 03:15:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:00:56PM -0300, Sérgio Brunner wrote:
> I got a “blank” screen every time I try to install RH9 in graphic mode!

Your mail program claims this to be "Encoding: 7bit", in spite of the
8-bit characters around "blank".  <grumble>

> I was able to install it completely in text mode, but when I try to load the
> graphic interface the blank screen returns.
>
> It seems my video card (FX5200) just crashes with RH9 (no problems with
> RH8).
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Thanks
>
> Sérgio

Some basic help is here:

http://www.rhil.net/docs/faq.html#x_fails

No, I don't know why it would work with RH 8.0 and not with RH 9.

You may need to go to nVidia's web site and see if they have a linux
driver for it.  They've not been forthcoming with specs so that the
Open Source community can write a proper driver.  I don't buy
nVidia-based cards anymore.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Seven days without prayer makes one weak.