Can't start ethereal

Matthew Galgoci mgalgoci at redhat.com
Thu Jun 17 22:10:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:

> --- Matthew Galgoci <mgalgoci at redhat.com> escribió: >
> > > [kens at KENS02L kens]$ su
> > > >

> > > Ethereal is the gui for tcpdump, do you have it?
> >
> > No, it isn't.
>
> Look at this web:
> http://www.firetower.com/forum/tcpdump.html
> This is the exactly sentence where I found it.
> "Be sure to try Ethereal, a GUI interface to tcpdump
> which gives you very sexy decodes of tcpdump traffic."

tcpdump and ethereal are not dependent on eachother or pachaged with eachother. It happens that you
can take an ethereal capture file and read it with tcpdump, and also take a tcpdump capture file and
read the file with ethereal. That does not mean that ethereal is a gui for tcpdump. ethereal however
has an optional gui, while tcpdump (as far as I know) does not.

You do not need to have tcpdump installed to get packet captures with ethereal.

--
Matthew Galgoci
System Administrator and Sr. Manager of Ruminants