Help w/Uninstall

Steve Larsen rolandsdad at opengearbox.com
Fri Jun 18 00:22:51 UTC 2004

At 08:07 PM 6/17/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>At 01:20 PM 6/17/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>>LinKins6 at aol.com wrote:
>>>Thank you so much for your response... and yes, that is what
>>>I'm wanting to do however, whenever I power up the laptop it goes
>>>through it's booting sequence and it does not give me an opportunity
>>>to load anything...The cursor stops at a grub>
>>>it wants a command?????????????
>>>I'm sorry to be a pain.... just don't have a clue how to stop this
>>>runaway...
>>
>>When you boot the laptop, you must have your new media inserted.  If
>>you're installing Windows, make sure the Windows CD is in the CD-ROM
>>drive BEFORE you reboot the machine.
>>
>>You may have to enable booting from CD-ROM.  Boot the laptop and press
>>the "DEL" key to get to the BIOS of the laptop.  Scroll through the
>>choices until you see "Boot Devices".  Go into that menu and make sure
>>the laptop tries to boot off CD _before_ it tries the hard disk.
>>
>>I can't be more clear since I don't know what kind of laptop you have
>>nor do I know which BIOS it runs.  You should be able to check the
>>owner's manual to see how to get to the BIOS and change this setting.
>>- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>>- VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>>-                                                                    -
>>-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -
>
>Hello,
>
> From what I understand you purchased a laptop with RedHat Linux already
> installed
>and also from what I understand you are not at all familiar with computers
>at all beyond
>being a end user?
>
>For starters what Rick says is essentially correct. However, do not make
>any changes
>to your system BIOS you do not understand. If you do make changes to your
>system
>BIOS and booting up gives you any errors like hard disk not found or
>memory check
>sum errors, etc .. at that point I would recommend you seek out a
>Technician, and try
>to make sure they are certified, to correct whatever errors you may have
>introduced.
>
>Now that I have frightened you a bit, just enough to make caution a
>healthy thing, lets begin
>with three easy question.
>
>Please answer these questions.
>
>1. What kind of laptop is this? Don't just say a Dell or Gateway, also say
>what model it is.
>With a little research we all can figure out what make and type of CPU and
>what amount
>of memory you have. If you know, please include that. In fact please
>include as much
>information as you can. How about the advertisement? They usually contain
>a good chunk
>of information about disk size, CPU and other things. Maybe telling us
> [...]

Hello,

On second thought when you boot up and you get to the point where it says

" grub> "

.. type "windows" or "win" or "Windows" and see what happens? Likewise
try typing "Linux" or "Red Hat" or "RHL" ..... all without the " quotation
marks.

If not .. don't worry, stick with the first set of suggestions anyway.

Steve Larsen
rolandsdad at opengearbox.com