Printer configuration

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jun 18 18:54:06 UTC 2004

lino ferreira wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I used the redhat 9 and tool redhat-icon->System Settings from the GUI ,
> with specific printer IP and port 9100...

Please bottom-post in the future (put your comments AFTER what you're
commenting on).

Can you ping the printer's IP?  My guess is that you can't actually
get to the printer from your machine.

> On Sex, 2004-06-18 at 17:28, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>lino ferreira wrote:
>>
>>>Dears,
>>>
>>>I tried to install a network printer via jetdirect and when i test the
>>>printer,the printer give me this message "lpr: unable to print file:
>>>server-error-service-unavailable".
>>>
>>>how can i solve this problem?
>>
>>We need more information.  Which version of Linux.  Which tool did you
>>use to try to set it up (jetdirect doesn't exist as a Linux tool).
>>
>>You would use "redhat-config-printer" or "redhat-icon->System Settings->
>>Printing" from the GUI.  In the "queue type" section, make sure you
>>have the queue type set to "Networked JetDirect".  In the two boxes
>>below enter the IP address of the printer and the port 9100.
>>- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>>- VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>>- Millihelen, adj: The amount of beauty required to launch one ship. -

-    First Law of Work:                                              -
-    If you can't get it done in the first 24 hours, work nights.    -