Ultra 320 and Raid 1

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jun 21 20:05:20 UTC 2004

Jordi Llorens wrote:
> Hello.
>    I'm trying to install Red Hat 8 in a machine with
> this  hw :
> Intel SE7501BR2 as motherboard
> Adaptec Ultra 320 SCSI Controller (aic-7901)
> three Maxtor SCSI discs
>
> I've configured a RAID-1 via Hardware, with the disk
> one and disk two. the third is not used at this
> moment.

What model of card is it?  Not the chipset (aic7901), but the card
itself.  Most aic7xxx chipsets don't do hardware RAID.  Cards such
as the 2100S do, but that was originally made by DPT.

> I've got a driver for the Ultra 320, and in the moment
> of partitioning the disk, the red hat see the trhee
> disks , and i don't understand, what happens with the
> Raid.  The second thing , is after the installation
> process, my system don't boot. Any suggestion?

If the card is trying to treat it as a RAID, but the software driver
doesn't support it, it won't boot because the disk geometries aren't
similar.  Have you hit Adaptec's website to see if they have an install
floppy image for you to use during install (using "boot: linux dd")?
- Life:  That which happens while you search for the remote control. -