Redhat 6.1 Password Change

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 22 21:35:43 UTC 2004

Reordering again.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:24:44PM +0000, Aaron Rykhus wrote:
> >From: "Aaron Rykhus" <aprykhus42 at hotmail.com>
> >To: redhat-install-list at redhat.com
> >Subject: Re: Redhat 6.1 Password Change
> >Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:21:28 +0000
> >
> >When I run passwd it says "Enter UNIX password"
> >

> >>From: Bob McClure Jr <robertmcclure at earthlink.net>
> >>To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
> >>Subject: Re: Redhat 6.1 Password Change
> >>Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:39:17 -0500

> >>user
> >>it
> >>
> >>Umm, you don't create an account with "passwd".  You use "useradd" or
> >>some GUI tool.  "passwd" sets or changes a password for an existing
> >>account.

> >>checked
> >>
> >>You're using a very ancient version of RedHat.  I seem to recall some
> >>problem with password but don't recall the exact nature of it.  I have
> >>seen passwd carp about your choice of password but go ahead and set it
> >>anyway.  Are you getting any odd messages when you run passwd?
> >>
> >>I presume you are root when you run passwd to change the user's
> >>password.
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>--
> >>Bob McClure, Jr.
>
> The RHCE book instructed me to add the user to /etc/passwd then run passwd.

Aha!  Now, we're getting somewhere.  That's a very rude and crude way
to do it, and I don't know if it even works if you have a /etc/shadow
file.  I don't think you do.

You are far better off to use "useradd" (or maybe "adduser") to add
users.  That will create the proper passwd (and shadow, if you have
it) entry, create a home directory for the user, and other nice
details.

Please post the line from the /etc/passwd file.  My guess is that
something is amiss there.

Also let us know if you have /etc/shadow.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Prayer should be our first resource, not our last resort.