R: R: Installing Fedora on RH9 (newbie)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Mar 1 19:21:22 UTC 2004

Ninux wrote:
> Hi, Rick.
> You're certainly right, but I thought that it would be good to start with
> Fedora, just because RH9 will disappear. I don't any good reason! I don't
> know very much about the differences.

You'll find that a lot of USB devices, as well as some IEEE1394
(firewire) devices work better under FC1 than under RH9.  For day-to-day
use, RH9 is perfectly acceptable.  I have it on my main system (that
I'm writing this on), but 3 of my 5 systems at home are running FC1, one
is running FC2T1 (fedora core 2, test 1) and one is still running RH9.

> I take this opportunity to ask some other questions.
>
> 1) I did the upgrade, but it wasn't an upgrade... I had to reformat the
> partition and install Fedora, because the upgrading programme wanted 400 M
> more. Do you know why?

The default disk layout is a bit different.  My guess is that one of the
partitions didn't have enough room to hold the current RPMs and the new
ones to be installed (for a brief time, they both must be on the disk).
If it wanted another 400MB, then you had a partition that was pretty
full.

> 2) I tried to share a hard disk with Windows "mount"ing it by: mount -t vfat
> /dev/hdb /mnt/dosdrive, but I receive an error message saying that the type
> is incorrect (or so). Can you help me?

Uh, you can't do that.  It must be "/dev/hdbN" ("N" being some number).
"/dev/hdb" is the WHOLE drive, "/dev/hdb1" is the partition on the
drive.  You can only mount partitions, not entire drives.

> 3) I've configured my Alcatel Speedtouch Modem. Everything was working, but
> how can I connect to my ISP after booting?

Try running "kppp" and setting it up.  I don't use dialup or DSL myself.
At the office I have several OC-48s to choose from.  At home, I have
cable broadband.

> I've tried to find all answers in some docs, but  I failed!

It takes some searching or asking questions on the lists such as this
one, and that's why such lists exist.  That's what we're here for!  My
goodness...it'd be boring not answering questions here!

> Thanks a lot,
> Nino

Keep punching, Nino!
-    If your broker is so damned smart...why is he still working?    -