Partitioning (ex: Installing Fedora on RH9 (newbie))

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Mar 2 18:27:25 UTC 2004

Ninux wrote:
>>>I take this opportunity to ask some other questions.
>>>
>>>1) I did the upgrade, but it wasn't an upgrade... I had to reformat the
>>>partition and install Fedora, because the upgrading programme wanted
>>>400 M more. Do you know why?
>

>>The default disk layout is a bit different.  My guess is that one of the
>>partitions didn't have enough room to hold the current RPMs and the new
>>ones to be installed (for a brief time, they both must be on the disk).
>>If it wanted another 400MB, then you had a partition that was pretty full
>

> Full? I installed only the system and the partition is 4G!

I don't buy that.  The part of the disk that contains Linux may be 4G,
but the individual partitions (those listed by "mount" or "df -h")
are undoubtedly smaller.  "fdisk" would report them too.  Remember
that partitions 1-4 under fdisk are primary partitions (with one of
them possibly an extended partition), partitions 5-n are INSIDE the
extended partition.

> Anyway, is it possible to increase its size mantaining all data?

Using cfdisk and parted, yes, but they're not for casual use, and there
are limitations (you can't move the start of a partition, for example).
-     There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- those who    -
-                 understand binary and those who don't              -