Create Linux BootDisk

Sanjeev Aggarwal SanjeevA at atinet.com
Thu Mar 4 02:19:44 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I have installed linux 7.3 on a 4 CPU Dell Server. I have set it up to boot
from a floppy disk.

Ran up2date to install the latest version of Linux SMP version kernal.

Now I want to create a boot disk to boot from the smp version of the kernal
and it gives me the following error when I create a boot disk

[root at ilinux modules]# mkbootdisk 2.4.18-3smp -v
Insert a disk in /dev/fd0. Any information on the disk will be lost.
Press <Enter> to continue or ^C to abort:
Formatting /dev/fd0... done.
Copying /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-3smp... cp: writing `/tmp/mkbootdisk/vmlinuz':
No space left on device
done.
Creating initrd image...
gzip: stdout: No space left on device
done.
Setting up syslinux... cat: write error: No space left on device
cat: write error: No space left on device
done.
[root at ilinux modules]#

[root at ilinux modules]# ls
2.4.18-3  2.4.18-3smp  2.4.20-28.7smp
[root at ilinux modules]#

Any help on this will be highly appreciated

One more thing, after starting the Linux from my existing linux boot disk
can I tell linux to switch to the other kernel the SMP version.

Thanks,
Sanjeev Aggarwal
Email:  sanjeeva at atinet.com
Phone: 408-350-7053    408-350-7021 (fax)
www.atinet.com <www.atinet.com>

"PLEASE NOTE:  Any information provided in this e-mail, regardless of form,
is hereby considered part of "ATI Product" as defined in our License
Agreement.  The disclosure of this information does not alter any rights of
use or restriction of proprietary notice alteration that is outlined in our
mutual License Agreement.  Please contact your ATI sales representative if
you have any questions regarding rights and restrictions on the use of this
information."