R: R: Partitioning (ex: Installing Fedora on RH9 (newbie))

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 4 17:57:28 UTC 2004

Ninux wrote:
> Hi, Rick, thanks for your kind help!
> I think I understood what you wrote, but...
>
> 1) how can I know how many kernels I'll have installed? (root filesystem)?

Just take a wild guess.  I keep a lot of old kernels around, but you
could assume you'll have three or so.  In that case, 128MB is more than
enough for /boot.

> 2) how can I repartition the disk mantaining all the stuff? Can I use
> "cfdisk"?

Well, yes, but it's VERY difficult and I wouldn't recommend doing it
unless you can stand to lose everything INCLUDING your Windows partition
(one false step and BLAMMO!).  Your risk is greater because you have one
disk with two operating systems on it.  If you had installed Linux to
a totally separate disk, then I'd feel better about you playing with
it.

I would really recommend you start your Linux install from scratch and
manually partition the drive during the install.  Mucking about with
parted, cfdisk, fdisk and the lot are not for the faint of heart.  Heck,
I don't like playing with them and I've been doing Linux for a LONG time
(since the old kernel 0.2 days).
-          "Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."           -