RH 7.1 installation on an IBM server with 3 scsi disks

Chris Hewitt g0pae at manordat.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 10:30:04 UTC 2004

Andrew Kelly wrote:

>When you're issuing a BFO (blinding flash of the obvious), it wouldn't

Andrew,

May we please cool this down. I read your earlier post a few times,
Andrew, before I realised that you probably did appreciate that RAID on
the same drive did not achieve the usual RAID objective, and that it was
an experimentation/leaning excercise. I think Rick probably did the
same, but may not have appreciated your objective. Rick's response may
have been a little severe, but in my opinion your response has made
things worse. Yes, you are both knowledgeable. Yes you both know what
RAID is about. Please may we discuss not <put your own term here>.

I was interested in this thread because a week ago I first dipped a toe
into RAID myself by configuring up the computer I'm going to use for my
new broadband connection to use two IDE discs (on separate IDE channels)
to use software RAID (RAID1) when installing Fedora Core 1. Worked like
a charm. At least I have some redundancy now. All I have to do is work
out what to do with my ATAPI CDROM. I don't want to impair performance
by putting it on one of the existing IDE channels so I bought myself an
InnoVision (non-RAID) IDE controller. Problem is that the linux drivers
are for RH 7.3 and these were compiled with gcc 2 and FC1 uses gcc 3 and
that is the error message I get. I've emailed the support address and am
waiting to see it anything happens.

Regards

Chris