Disabling certain PCI devices

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Wed Mar 10 21:38:14 UTC 2004

Hi,
    I'm wondering if anyone (Rick, Bob, anyone...) knows how to tell
Linux to disable a certain PCI device prior to the time drivers get
loaded? For instance,

00:0a.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port
00:0b.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB12LV23 IEEE-1394
Controller

PCI device 00:0a:2 should be disabled, but 00:0b:0 should be allowed to
work.

    I have this problematic 1394 adapter that is part of the sound card.
It doesn't work correctly under Linux. I have the other 1394 adapter
that does. They both use the same driver. (1394OHCI) The bad adapter
throws lots of messages into /var/log and uses about 5% of my CPU all
the time. Bummer.

    I want to leave the sound card in in the system as the sound part
works fine under Alsa.

    How can I do what Windows Device Manager does where I can tell it
not to load a driver for a specific card. In Windows I can have 3 OHCI
adapters in the box, but I can create a Hardware Profile that enables
different adapters, or I can load different drivers for different cards.

    I cannot figure out how to do this under Linux, and the 1394
developers are telling me they think it cannot be done.

    Just wondering if anyone here has a solution to this sort of problem.

Thanks in advance,
Mark