need some help abt app installation

Jay D play_that_funk at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 14:35:03 UTC 2004

See
http://www.loscompanion.com/howtos/installing_tarballs/installing_tarballs.html
and also
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/answers.php?action=viewarticle&artid=15

Read through the links.  By the way, I'm new to linux also.  But to find the
first link I just did a google.com search for: "how to install applications"
AND .gz AND linux

Try googling yourself and you'll get lots of information that will help you.
  Google is your friend.  ".exe" files are windows only.  If you Linux
inxtallations often result in being able to run the program by typing its
name at the command prompt (ie "netscape").  When you "unpack" the tarballs
(see the above link) they're will be README files with specific
instructions.

cheers,

jay