Disabling certain PCI devices

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 11 18:43:33 UTC 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 16:45, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>I believe it's a bitmask that's ANDed with the vendor and device fields,
>>so yes, it's a wildcard, in this case, controlled by the "class" bit.
>

> Rick,
>    I tried this on my Gentoo box where I'm having the problem. It didn't
> seem to work. Then for kicks I tried both rmmod'ing ohci1394 and
> rebooting. Neither worked either.
>
>    Then I looked at the file again and found the edits were gone!
>
>    This might be a Gentoo thing, but are these files static or built at
> boot time. All the ones on my machine had the new boot time, so I think
> the data is coming from somewhere else. (At least in Gentoo's case...I
> don't have a Redhat machine with multiple 1394 controllers in it right
> now.

As far as I know, it's created by the "make modules-install" portion of
a kernel build, but I won't swear to it.  I can't speak to gentoo as I
don't have a system set up (gee, YAFO for labrat.ssssc.com).  I'll do
some snooping later today and see what I can find.

> <SNIP>
>
>>     # lspci -vn
>>     (snip)
>>     00:0e.0 Class 0c00: 1033:00e7 (rev 01) (prog-if 10)
>>        	Subsystem: 10cf:11a0
>>     (snip)
>>
>>So I'd change the line to read:
>>
>>     ohci1394    0x00001033 0x000000e7 0x000010cf 0x000011a0 0x000c0010 \
>>		0x00ffffff 0x00000000
>

> Actually, pcitweak -l seemed to give me a lot of good data also without
> quite so much searching around.

Yes, it's a bit terser.  You still need the initial lspci to get the bus
ID, but yes, pcitweak is good.

>>I think that'd do it.  Your mileage may vary.  By the way, a similar
>>mechanism is used for USB devices, but you'd use the data from "lsusb"
>>for the vendor and device IDs and the file format is a bit different.
>>
>>Hey, kernel hacking has its benefits!  You get to find all these
>>obscure little things.
>

> Good stuff to know about. This is likely to be very helpful once I
> really get it working.

As I said, I guess my labrat machine will get YAFO called gentoo.  It's
only got about four on it now.

By the way, "YAFO" = "Yet Another Farking OS".
- Do not taunt the sysadmins, for they are subtle and quick to anger -