file types and programs

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 14 02:05:35 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 06:50:47PM -0600, Fred Grant wrote:
> I recently installed Adobe Acrobat5 but I can't get it to become the
> default pdf viewer.  The file types and programs seems to work only for
> programs that were installed when I first loaded rh9.  I would like to
> get Adobe running because it seems to be the only pdf viewer that can
> click on links embedded in the pdf file.
>
> I use the gnome desktop.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What browser?  I don't know if they all use the same file (they jolly
well should), but try editing your ~/.mailcap file.  I know Netscape
and Mozilla use it.

Look for a line that looks like

application/pdf;/usr/bin/xpdf %s

Change /usr/bin/xpdf to /path/to/acrobat.  If such a line is not
there, add one.

You will need to restart your browser.  In fact, maybe it should be
off when you edit the file.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Life is short.  Pray hard.