General Problems

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Mar 17 17:37:09 UTC 2004

Mugleston, Brad wrote:
> Rick and Andy,
>
> Here is the information from /var/log/maillog.  I didn't wipe out my domain information as it's too much work 8^)
>
>>From looking at this I'm thinking my problem is that my return email address does not match my machines domain address but I don't know how to get around this problem (and I would think that everyone would have this problem).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad
>

> Mar 16 21:27:31 mugleston sendmail[2761]: i2H4RL7T002761:
> Authentication-Warning: mugleston.mugs.net: brad set sender to
> brad.mugleston at comcast.net using -f
> Mar 16 21:27:31 mugleston sendmail[2761]: i2H4RL7T002761:
> from=brad.mugleston at comcast.net, size=575, class=0, nrcpts=0,
> msgid=<1076383974.1606.7.camel at mugleston>, relay=brad at localhost

Eh, not enough.  Find the line with the same ID (i2H4RL7T002761) that
contains the DSN information.  That will tell us what the error was.

Since you're on Comcast, it's entirely possible that they've started
blocking outgoing port 25 to anything outside their network.  Most ISPs
do that now (it's an attempt to prevent their customers from being
spammers).  To test, bring up an xterm and enter:

	telnet smtp.root-mail.com 25

If you don't get an SMTP welcome message, port 25 is being blocked and
you'll need to aim your Evolution stuff to use Comcast's SMTP servers.
Of course, this will screw the envelope "From:" line so it won't be
your domain anymore.  If you have a business connection, tell them you
want port 25 opened up and leave your stuff set up the way it is.

If you _do_ get an SMTP welcome message, type in "quit" to terminate the
connection and send us the rest of that /var/log/maillog stuff.

-     Squawk!  Pieces of Seven!  Pieces of Seven!  Parity Error!     -