RedHat Linux installation stops with no error at a very earlystage.

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Mar 18 14:58:43 UTC 2004

Di Ar wrote:
> Thank you Mark and Bob for responding.
>
> I tried the options Mark mentioned and unfortunately it made no difference. I
> wasn't sure what option I had to use to force it to use ext2 file system or
> whether it is something that I have to opt for at a later stage than where it is
> stopping now.
>
> I have two DVD devices. It seems to have gone through the first one ok and the
> last line to do with ide1 on irq 5 (where it stops) appears after going through
> the second one. the ide0 and ide1 on irq 5 also appeared during the verification
> of the first DVD. Could it be that there is a conflict here? I checked the two
> and they do not show any irq assigned to them when I looked at them ifrom Windows.
>
> Anticipating more help,
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Darius

Darius,
    May I recommend that you send you mail to this list in plain text?
Many folks won't read HTML. Up to you, but you'll get more answers.
Also, you'll eventually get scolded for top posting on this list.
Personalyl I don't care, but this list works that way.

    I am concerned that you have multiple hard drive controllers in this
machine and that the RH installation kernel is getting confused and
going to one you don't really want it to use. It is not standard for the
main system EIDE controller to reside on IRQ5. However, it is possible
for secondary EIDE controllers, such as Promise or CMD to do so. Can you
provide some info on the hardware? What computer manuafacturer or
motherboard model is this? In Windows what devices are assigned to what
interrupts?

    There is an option in RH kernels to tell it to boot the on-board or
system EIDE controllers first. Possibly the system is defaulting to the
wrong one for your hardware. I don't remember the languange that turns
that off, but you might Google for kernel boot options and see if you
can find it.

Good luck,
Mark