file types and programs

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 18 19:22:54 UTC 2004

Fred Grant wrote:
> I'm still having a problem getting Adobe Acrobat to be included as a
> viewer of pdf files on rh9 GNOME.  I can't include it through the edit
> process because it isn't listed as an option.  I have modified my PATH
> to include the path to acroread.
>
> I think the key is to add it as a "service" but the help pages are vague
> (to this newbie) as to how it should be done.  How do I describe the
> service?  What is the protocol that is asked for?
>
> I'm hoping that one of you gurus has either already done this or is
> willing to do it and pass along your results.

Open up "Red Hat Logo->Preferences->File Types and Programs"

In the list shown, go to "Published Materials" and open that list.
Select "PDF document" and click "Edit...".

In that window, go to "Viewer Component", open the drop-down box and
select "None".  Also go to "Default Action", open the drop-down box and
select "Custom".  In the box below that, put in the FULL PATH to
acroread (in my case, "/usr/local/Acrobat/bin/acroread") and click "OK".
That should do it.
-     Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.      -