Installing TypingMaster into Games

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 21 01:02:23 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 10:31:32AM -0500, Chris A Czerwinski wrote:
> Thanks to Rick S. and Guy R. (what resources and follow-up)-
> I've finally got the Java Virtual Machine LINKed properly.
>
> Now - I want to install "TypingMaster" application into "Games"
>   e.g. Main Menu -> Games -> More Games ...
> so I don't have to install it twice for my kids
>  (as each has their own logon - boy/girl).
>
> I am getting confused between /usr/games and /usr/local/games.
> Does that mean there is one for Global and the other for who??

The convention, as I have seen it practiced in RedHat, is that
distribution stuff goes into /usr, and stuff you've added by building
and installing from a tarball goes into /usr/local.  If you get into
lots of partitioning, that's why I make /usr/local a separate
partition.  (That's another discussion.)

> So what would be the proper way of installing and into which
> directories? and Permissions? and Links?
>
> When installing I'm being asked for two locations -
>   - Install in  ................. (Choose)            and
>   - Link Folder (Home) or ................. (Choose)
>
> Note: When I install as SU - I have to be careful about Home because it
> may want to install in /root (I think?) and will they have access?

No, you don't want anything for general consumption put in /root.

> Thanks for any input.
>
> Chris Cz (Newbie)

Well, philosophically, though it might be crafted to be "game-like", I
don't think I would put it in /usr/local/games.  That's a rather
obscure location.  And since it is external to the RedHat
installation, I'd put it in /usr/local/bin.  That is normally in
everybody's PATH, so nothing special needs to be done with that.

I don't understand what the "Link Folder (Home) or ..." is about.  If
you want a shortcut to that, I'd put it in the toolbar at the bottom,
or you could add a menu item for it.  I don't think I'd let the
installation program do any of that, because it probably doesn't know
how, and might well do something undesireable.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
God loves you whether you like it or not,
  but he won't kidnap you to heaven.