ethernet connection to my college LAN

shatam bhattacharya mailshatam at yahoo.co.in
Thu Mar 25 16:14:10 UTC 2004

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the following information may be of interest for this problem:
my ip  172.31.65.21
my proxy servers ip & proxy 172.31.100.6:3128
                                          172.31.100.8:3128
my subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Please take a look at the output of
iptables -L

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT) target prot opt source               destination
RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT (2 references)
ACCEPT     udp  --  172.31.100.8         anywhere           udp spt:domain dpts:1025:65535
ACCEPT     udp  --  172.31.100.6         anywhere           udp spt:domain dpts:1025:65535
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:smtp flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:http flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:ftp flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:ssh flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:telnet flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp spts:bootps:bootpc dpts:bootps:bootpc
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp spts:bootps:bootpc dpts:bootps:bootpc
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
REJECT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpts:0:1023 flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:nfs flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpts:0:1023 reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere           udp dpt:nfs reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpts:x11:6009 flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere           tcp dpt:xfs flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

Please suggest what is to be done...
shatam

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 11:32, shatam bhattacharya wrote:
> Thanks Rick for the advice but the problem persits the following were
> the results
> >The odds are that you don't have the default route set up. Do
> >"netstat -rn" and verify that you have a line that has "0.0.0.0" >in
> the
> >first column.
>

> Netstat -rn
>
> Kernel IP routing table
>
> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
>
> 172.31.64.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.252.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
>
> 169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
>
> 127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo
>
> 0.0.0.0 172.31.65.21 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
>

> >The default route is normally contained in the /etc/sysconfig/network
> >file as the "GATEWAY=" equate. Here's an example:
> >NETWORKING=yes
> >HOSTNAME=prophead.corp.publichost.com
> >GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
> >If you don't have a default route, you can add one using this
> command:
> >route add -default gw ip-addr-of-your-gateway
> >For example, to set up the default route as if it were in the network
> >file:
> >route add -default gw 192.168.0.1
>

> contents of /etc/syconfig/network
>
> NETWORKING=yes
>
> HOSTNAME=ginie
>
> GATEWAY=172.31.65.21
>

> By the way while installing rhl 9 I had installed
>
> http server, dns, smb and nfs. Can they affect the ethernet connection
> even remotely ???

This is starting to sound like a firewall issue, innit?

What's the output of 'iptables -L'?
If you get an error because iptables isn't running, make sure that
that ugly chains crud isn't in the way by running 'lokkit' and taking
appropriate steps.

Andy

redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com
Win an evening with the Indian cricket captain: Yahoo! India Promos.