"x" won't start after red hat linux 9 installation (attn JimHayward)

Jim Hayward jimhayward at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 26 20:21:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 00:47, Jay D wrote:
> Great point, sorry I hadn't done that at first.  However, I just ran up2date
> and got the latest updated packages for all packages installed on my system.
>   The problem still persists...

To bad. :-( But always making sure your system is up2date before trying
to diagnose a problem can avoid a lot of gray hairs. ;-)

You are trying to startx locally and not remotely correct?
Are you booting runlevel 3? If not edit /etc/inittab and change the line
id:5:initdefault:

id:3:initdefault:

Then either reboot or:

killall X	<-- kill any X processes that may be hung
telinit q	<-- this reads the changes made to inittab
telinit 1	<-- changes to runlevel 1
telinit 3	<-- changes to runlevel 3

Now try: startx
Post any errors and a new XFree86 log file again.

Regards,
	Jim H
--
Jim Hayward <jimhayward at earthlink.net>