System Commander 7 not working - any pure Linux alternatives?

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 19:28:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 10:24, Rick Stevens wrote:

> That's odd.  I was able to resize my laptop using SC7.01.

I started by installing 7.04. I'm now using the 7.05 update.

It's not that it won't resize the partition. I never get to the screen
that shows the partitions. It just sits with the message about analyzing
my system. It won't do a second OS install either. Sits with the same
message.

I have a suspicion that it may be chipset related. I booted Dyne:bolic
and using lspci I see an ATI chipset - north bridge, south bridge,
pretty much the whole machine except the networking (both wired and
wireless) and 1394, are ATI. Probably there's some weird little glitch
recognizing the EIDE controllers or something...

> No.  There is no linux utility that will resize an NTFS partition.  NTFS
> is supported via a kernel module just like NFS or any other filesystem,
> but the "write" versions of the module can hose NTFS to a point that not
> even Winblows can recover it.

As I thought. Thus, I could blow the whole machine away, do a Linux
install first, keeping partition 1 for XP, then install XP and just live
with the primary partition I suppose. No reason I can't make a FAT32
partition using Linux and share that between Linux and XP I suppose.

It's nice that Linux is so flexible...

> SC7.01 resized my NTFS just fine.  Partition Commander 8 should also do
> a bang-up job.  You may need to simply reinstall SC7.01 to get it to
> work or boot off the floppies or CD rather than the hard disk to get it
> to work (NTFS can do some weird things).

I sent a tech support message to V-Com this morning. If I can engage
them in a conversation I'll find out about Partition Commander 8
handling this.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Mark