radeon 7000 and an old mach64

Jim Hayward jimhayward at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 29 19:51:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 09:09, Rick Stevens wrote:
> tyche wrote:
> > dont know if it can do any damage to the card or not, but i bought a new
> > radeon today and forgot to change my x settings before stating x up.  the old
> > one was a mach64gt. can i do damage running x without changing it?

No, you will not damage your card.

> Well, you won't get X, I don't think.

Actually it will. The Mach64 chipsets use the "ati" driver. The "ati"
driver is just a wrapper that auto detects the ATI video card you are
running and then loads the correct driver. In this case it just
automatically loads the "radeon" driver for his new card.

Most of the time the auto detection works correctly. But if for some
reason it doesn't you can specify which driver to load in your
XF86Config. i.e "radeon", "r128", etc...

Regards,
	Jim H

--
Jim Hayward <jimhayward at earthlink.net>