RH9 to ES Migration

Jeff Hogg tastin at catchnet.net
Thu May 6 14:51:19 UTC 2004

Charles Braffett wrote:

> So, if I do a clean install using the existing partitions, then copy the
> old etc folder in, that should work?  BTW, I don't want to lose any file
> structure nor data (several CVS stores running).  :)

It's a bit more complicated than that unfortunately...  You'll need your
/home directory, and any active data directories in use by the
applications your currently using at least.  I can't guess where your
cvs data is being stored, you will need to determine that yourself.
/etc will take care of your network info and most of the settings for
the programs you have... but it may not be wise to simply paste it back
in on top of the new system, as some things may have changed after all.
  New hardware, and minor file format changes and such.  Basics like
ifcfg-eth0 are fairly stable, but you shouldnt try to re-use the
conf.module file for example.  Burn /etc and the data dirs onto a cd and
copy back just the files you need, not the whole mess I would say.   I
hope this helps a bit.

Jeff Hogg