LAN Problems

Andrew Kelly akelly at transparency.org
Thu May 13 06:19:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 03:11, SilverVenom22 at aol.com wrote:
> Hey all,
> I am having trouble on my dual-boot PC.  I am running XP Home and
> Linux Fedora Core 1.  I have an integrated LAN connection on my
> computer.  I tried to configure the card through the setup wizard, it
> detects, everything looks fine, then I go to activate it and it says
> "3c501 device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying
> initilazation."  While I activated it in windows so the connection
> light on the back flashes.  I'm lost.  Any help would be great!
>
> - Peter

3c501? That's a 3Com card. I'll admit all my gear is 5+ years old and
I've fallen a bit behind the tech cutting edge, but I don't recall pc
mobos having integrated 3com NICs. Aren't they generally Intel or
Broadcom chipsets? Is it possible you're  running up the wrong driver?
Or am I just out of the loop 'cuz I still use a PII 350 and run RH 7.2?

Andy