Trouble configuring Red Hat 7.2

Pedro Morales pmor82 at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 17:40:32 UTC 2004

Dear Linux experts,

I'm a student of the Keiser College in Orlando, FL. We
are in the Network Administration Program and we are
starting to learn to use Linux, we all have great
interest in beocming Linux experts but we encounter a
small problem, we can't run the GUI version.

Everytime we try to run it, we get an error and can't
start it, it says that can't find the monitor, during
installation the monitor was auto detected, but the
video card wasn't, we have all the specs of the
computer but the video card was not listed in the
installation list.

Since it's a college, they buy the computers by lot
from brand manufacturers, in our case, it's IBM's. The
book we're using is Thompson Course Technology Linux+
Guide to Linux Certification, and using the free Red
Hat Linux 7.2 that comes with it. I suspect that the
video card wasnt found because it's an old version of
Red Hat on a new computer.

I'm wondering if there's a way to add that video card
from the linux test mode after installing? A friend
and I reinstalled linux many times with full options
testing the different video cards made by Intel (since
it's a built in Video), spending hours in that but no
solution.

If needed, our computers are:
IBM ThinkCentre 8189-A4U
Pentium 4 HT
512ram

and well, I'm sure you guys can get teh detailed specs
from IBM.

We'd appreciate any possible solutions.

Pedro R Morales