Trouble configuring Red Hat 7.2

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Tue May 4 19:34:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 13:40, Pedro Morales wrote:
> Dear Linux experts,
>
> I'm a student of the Keiser College in Orlando, FL. We
> are in the Network Administration Program and we are
> starting to learn to use Linux, we all have great
> interest in beocming Linux experts but we encounter a
> small problem, we can't run the GUI version.
>
> Everytime we try to run it, we get an error and can't
> start it, it says that can't find the monitor, during
> installation the monitor was auto detected, but the
> video card wasn't, we have all the specs of the
> computer but the video card was not listed in the
> installation list.
>
> Since it's a college, they buy the computers by lot
> from brand manufacturers, in our case, it's IBM's. The
> book we're using is Thompson Course Technology Linux+
> Guide to Linux Certification, and using the free Red
> Hat Linux 7.2 that comes with it. I suspect that the
> video card wasnt found because it's an old version of
> Red Hat on a new computer.
>
> I'm wondering if there's a way to add that video card
> from the linux test mode after installing? A friend
> and I reinstalled linux many times with full options
> testing the different video cards made by Intel (since
> it's a built in Video), spending hours in that but no
> solution.
>
> If needed, our computers are:
> IBM ThinkCentre 8189-A4U
> Pentium 4 HT
> 512ram
>
> and well, I'm sure you guys can get teh detailed specs
> from IBM.
>
> We'd appreciate any possible solutions.
>
> Pedro R Morales

I would suggest downloading the Fedora Core ISO's since RH7.2 is fairly
old and will not have drivers for newer hardware on the disks. Not only
should this be easier, but the software will be closer to "real world
useage".
The ISO's can be found at;
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/iso/
and mirror sites which are usually much faster
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>