ADSL usb modems

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Wed May 5 02:52:55 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 02:59, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 02:32, Rick Stevens wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >>There are some ADSL modems that work fine with Linux and some that
> >>don't, just as there are some winmodems that work and others that won't.
> >>Keep in mind that this is not just a Red Hat issue--it's a general Linux
> >>issue with manufacturers not helping an open source solution.
> >

> > Do you have the names of those usb ADSL modems that DO work with Linux,
> > or point me in the right direction to find out?
> >
> > I am a bit disappointed to learn that there are not only 'gutless'
> > dial-up modems out there but 'gutless' ADSL modems as well. The way
> > things are going, the next time one buys a new car the engine and drive
> > train will need to be supplied by the 'driver' :-)
>
> http://www.linux-usb.org/ is the list of USB stuff.  I don't know if
> they have USB cable or DSL modems, but you can check.

Hello Rick, they didn't have all that much. I finished up buying a
Billion BIPAC-5100 ADSL Modem/Router and a Dolphin PCI 6003 Ethernet
10/100Mbps Ultra Power Series nic. As well as the Windows logo it has
Tux as well on the box. Amongst all the bulleted features it claims is
the following: 'Supports the widest range of drivers for common network
systems such as Novell, IBM, Windows, SCO Unix and Linux.' So, it should
be OK.

The router was the Editor's Choice in an APC magazine article on such
devices last February so I fully expect it to function OK.

The freebie ADSL usb moden supplied by the ISP is a D-Link DSL 200 and
according to the D-Link web site only supports Windows (only Windows
drivers available) so it is akin to a 'winmodem'

The article I mentioned above strongly suggested to avoid ADSL usb
modems as they "suck CPU power; they don't always co-exist peacefully
with other usb devices; they need special drivers for each operating
system; and they are incompatible with some motherboard chipsets and
BIOS firmware. Ethernet has none of these disadvantages."

One last question, Have you, or any one else, had any feedback on
Dolphin nics? The vendor, Dick Smith Electronics, claim they have never
had any complaints.

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

This  message was brought to  you by Linux, the free  unix.
Windows without the X is like making love without a partner.
Sex, Drugs & Linux Rules
win-nt from the people who invented edlin
apples  have  meant  trouble  since  eden
Linux, the way to get rid of boot viruses
(By mwikholm at at8.abo.fi, MaDsen Wikholm)

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authourised.                        -