RH9 to ES Migration

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu May 6 17:04:31 UTC 2004

Jeff Hogg wrote:
> Charles Braffett wrote:
>
>> So, if I do a clean install using the existing partitions, then copy the
>> old etc folder in, that should work?  BTW, I don't want to lose any file
>> structure nor data (several CVS stores running).  :)

Actually, it's a bit more nasty than that.  An "upgrade" install
shouldn't destroy any user-created stuff.  A "clean install" WILL kill
stuff.

First, back up EVERYTHING and make sure your backup is good.  That's
VERY important.  In addition to that:

a) make copies of your /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/group files.

b) go through /etc/passwd and make sure you make backups of all of the
home directories listed in there.  Those are your users' home
directories.

c) if you're using stuff like CVS or SCCS or something of that nature,
make backups of your repositories.

d) if you're using databases of any kind (MySQL, PostgreSQL, whatever),
make backups of their data stores.

e) make backups of any application-related data you need including
configuration files and the like.

You can then do an "upgrade" installation.  That SHOULD leave all non-
system-related stuff alone, but you have two backups of the stuff you
need (the main backup and the individual backup) to recover from.  If
you do a "clean" install, then you can be guaranteed that everything
will get wiped out and you'll need to restore from one of the backups.
This means restoring your /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group files
(to recover your user names and passwords) and the home directories
related to /etc/passwd.  You'll also need to reinstall your databases,
repositories, applications and their data.

I'd try the "upgrade" first.  If that doesn't work, do the full install
and restore the stuff you need.  Either way, it's not trivial.

"Backups are your friends.  Make more friends regularly."
-            The gene pool could use a little chlorine.              -