more yum problems

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri May 7 16:40:41 UTC 2004

mylar wrote:
> So what's the overall deal with yum. Apart from the issues discussed
> here is it stable ? I am still inclined to handle my updated manually
> until I am convinced of yum's stability.

yum is absolutely stable and has been for several years.  Remember, yum
is what the Yellowdog Linux distribution uses instead of Red Hat's
"up2date" ("yum" = "yellowdog updater--modified").  The issues seen here
are not yum issues but rpm issues.

The first problem was that the databases built by rpm were built by an
older version of rpm that used the glibc 2.0/2.1-style of ld linking
(ld being the system linker) while the newer version uses glibc
2.2/2.3-style.  They aren't completely compatible.  The way to fix it is
to fake out ld by setting an environment variable or by deleting the old
databases and rebuilding them via "rpm --rebuilddb" so they do have the
glibc 2.2/2.3 linkage.

The second issue again was an rpm issue (or rather the postinstall
script for the kernel RPM) where the system rebuilds the boot
configuration for the new kernel.  The system didn't look to see if
there was adequate free disk space to complete the job before merrily
going on its way and trying.  I haven't looked at the postinstall
script to see how it does this, but some use "grubby" and some do it
via a more complex shell script.

So, should you use yum?  Absolutely.  I do.  However, before you use it,
make sure you have space reserved for the downloads and any post install
scripts.  This means that you should have plenty of free space on /var
or you should modify the /etc/yum.conf file so it uses a filesystem that
does have adequate free space.

> On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 20:33, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>>Rick Stevens wrote:

>>>If you use lilo, verify that /etc/lilo.conf looks OK.  If it looks
>>>good to go, try running /sbin/lilo.  It should complain if there's
>>>something it doesn't like.  If you use grub, verify that
>>>/boot/grub/grub.conf looks good.  If you want to check it, the only
>>>way I know of is to try to run grub-install, e.g. "grub-install
>>>/dev/hda".
>>>
>>>Also make sure you have a /boot/initrd-kernelversion.img file if your
>>>root partition is on a SCSI disk, ext3 filesystem or an NFS volume (or
>>>any combination of the three), as the necessary modules must be in the
>>>initrd RAMdisk image.
>>
>>Oh, I forgot to add that you may wish to reinstall your boot loader
>>RPM off the CD by using
>>
>>	rpm -Uvh --force /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/whatever.rpm
>>
>>then upgrading it via yum.
>>
>>BTW, you can change where yum saves it stuff rather than symlinking
>>/var/cache/yum.  Just edit the "cachedir=/var/cache/yum" line in your
>>/etc/yum.conf file.  Also look at the "logfile=" line.
>>
>>I also recommend you set up some mirrors for your updates as the default
>>Red Hat servers are often overloaded and since RH9 is now EOL, you won't
>>find any updates past those prior to April 30, 2004. Fortunately, the
>>Fedora Legacy group will support it for a while (they even have updates
>>for 7.2!).  You can get a list of the Fedora Legacy servers at:
>>
>>http://www.fedoralegacy.org/download/fedoralegacy-mirrors.php
>>
>>To use the mirror at fermilab (which is the one I use), you can modify
>>your /etc/yum.conf's "baseurl" line under the "[updates-released]"
>>section to something like:
>>
>>baseurl=http://linux.fnal.gov/linux/legacy/redhat/9/updates/i386
>>
>>Nice of them, no?
>>- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>>- VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>>-    If your broker is so damned smart...why is he still working?    -

-                   "The bogosity meter just pegged."                -