ADSL usb modems

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Mon May 17 02:01:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 02:48, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Graeme Nichols wrote:

> >>http://www.linux-usb.org/ is the list of USB stuff.  I don't know if
> >>they have USB cable or DSL modems, but you can check.
> >

> > Hello Rick, they didn't have all that much. I finished up buying a
> > Billion BIPAC-5100 ADSL Modem/Router and a Dolphin PCI 6003 Ethernet
> > 10/100Mbps Ultra Power Series nic. As well as the Windows logo it has
> > Tux as well on the box. Amongst all the bulleted features it claims is
> > the following: 'Supports the widest range of drivers for common network
> > systems such as Novell, IBM, Windows, SCO Unix and Linux.' So, it should
> > be OK.
>
> That's fine.  In my experience the most compatible (and stable) set up
> is a stand-alone modem (cable, ADSL, whatever) with an ethernet port,
> a separate router/firewall (I use D-Link units, but Linksys and others
> are good except for Belkin), and either WiFi or hard-wired ethernet.
>
> NEVER use Belkin firewalls or routers.  After that last debacle where
> the firmware would periodically "steal" one of your connections and
> route you to an advertising site, I wouldn't trust them as far as I
> could throw their corporate office building.  B*stards!
>
> > The router was the Editor's Choice in an APC magazine article on such
> > devices last February so I fully expect it to function OK.
>
> I'm not familiar with that make (Billion), but if APC says it's good,
> then I'd feel fairly comfortable.  I don't use DSL myself (I use cable
> modem--I'm too far from the central office for DSL to be worth it), so
> any comments I make would be anecdotal at best.
>
> > The freebie ADSL usb moden supplied by the ISP is a D-Link DSL 200 and
> > according to the D-Link web site only supports Windows (only Windows
> > drivers available) so it is akin to a 'winmodem'
>
> Yup.  I have several friends at D-Link and I'm trying to get them to
> start supporting things on open source more.  The problem is that the
> makers of the chipsets they use (Texas Instruments being the worst
> offender) supply the drivers to D-Link in binary form so not even they
> can play with them without reverse-engineering them.
>
> > The article I mentioned above strongly suggested to avoid ADSL usb
> > modems as they "suck CPU power; they don't always co-exist peacefully
> > with other usb devices; they need special drivers for each operating
> > system; and they are incompatible with some motherboard chipsets and
> > BIOS firmware. Ethernet has none of these disadvantages."
>
> This isn't always true.  It depends on how the thing is made.  If it
> depends totally on the USB bus to power it (like a FLASH stick), then
> yes the power concerns are big.  Due to the processing they do, they can
> hang the USB bus at times, too.  As far as I'm concerned, I only use USB
> for the things it was really intended for...connecting storage devices
> and HID.  I don't use it for networking.
>
> > One last question, Have you, or any one else, had any feedback on
> [...]

Rick, I installed it and booted Linux. It was found during boot-up and
Linux installed the drivers OK. It is a RealTek RTL-8139, SMC EZ Ca.
Linux talked to the ADSL modem/router straight away. Now... as soon as
Telstra (our local telco here in Aust.) activates the line for ADSL I
can configure the modem/router and be away, hopefully :-)

When I booted up Win98 SE to set it up there I had a lot more "trouble',
you know how it is with Windows... "Insert the WIN 98 CD", re-boot,
etc., etc. One side problem though, it has been so long since I booted
into Windows I keep using Linux commands through force of habit which
Windows is too dumb to understand. :-)

--

Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols

A commune is where people join together to share their lack of wealth.
		-- R. Stallman

- IMPORTANT.                                                         -
- The contents of this email and any attachments, which may be con-  -
- fidential, are sent for the personal attention of the addressee/s  -
- only. If you receive this email and are not the intended addressee -
- please inform the sender and delete this email immediately. Use,   -
- copying, disclosure or forwarding of the contents of this email    -
- and/or any attachment/s is not authourised.                        -