Hardrive not found error !

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed May 19 19:58:18 UTC 2004

pankaj singla wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      I am new to Linux. I am trying to install redhat
> 9 on my new PC. It already has windows XP on one
> partition.
>
>      The problem is that it couldn't find hard drive
> during istallation and then the installation ends. The
> hard drive is 120 GB ST3120026AS. I couldn't found
> linux drivers (if that is the problem) for this drive
> on web.
>
>      Could somebody help me in dealing with this
> problem.

You must have unassigned space on the drive to do the installation.
By default, XP will suck up all of the drive--either in a single
partition or multiple partitions--but all of the drive is used.
Linux has nowhere to install.  You can verify this by running the
Windows "fdisk" command on the drive.  If you don't see any "unused"
part of the drive, that's your problem.

You must use some tool such as Partition Magic or Partition Commander
to shrink your Windows partitions down and free up space on the hard
drive for Linux to live in.
-       A squeegee, by any other name, wouldn't sound as funny.      -