Redhat-install-list Digest, Vol 3, Issue 23

Tapas Ranjan sarangi at bpost.kek.jp
Thu May 20 12:34:31 UTC 2004

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:56:09 -0700
> From: Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com>
> Subject: Re: Display can not change from "800X600" to "1024X 768" on
> 	RedHat 9.0
> To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
> 	<redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
>
> Suhaimi Jamalludin wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Sorry about this dump question. Can some body advice me on how to change
> > my laptop Display Resolution from "800X600" to "1024X768"on RedHat 9.0.
> > I have try to change it but there is no effect still "800X600" display.
> >
> > Below is my hardware configuration that detect on my WinXP laptop..
> > Display Adapter : Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller
> > DPI setting    : 96
> > Monitor Type     : Digital Flat Panel(1024x768)
> >
> > Below is my XFree configuration files that I have. Can some body help
> > me. I want to move from WinXP to RedHat Linux.
> > If the display cannot change I will not have the fun on surfing the net
> > and do my daily work.
> >
> > Really appreciate your help
> >
> > Regards,
> > Suhaimi
> >
> > My XF86Conf file:
> >
> > # XFree86 4 configuration created by redhat-config-xfree86
> >
> > Section "ServerLayout"
> >     Identifier     "Default Layout"
> >     Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
> >     InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> >     InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> >     InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Files"
> >
> > # RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name
> > of the # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is
> > normally
> > # no need to change the default.
> > # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
> > # By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
> > # the X server to render fonts.
> >     RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
> >     FontPath     "unix/:7100"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Module"
> >     Load  "dbe"
> >     Load  "extmod"
> >     Load  "fbdevhw"
> >     Load  "glx"
> >     Load  "record"
> >     Load  "freetype"
> >     Load  "type1"
> >     Load  "dri"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >
> > # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
> > #    Option    "Xleds"        "1 2 3"
> > # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
> > #    Option    "XkbDisable"
> > # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
> > # lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
> > # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
> > #    Option    "XkbModel"    "pc102"
> [...]

Hi :
	I guess the same as Rick in this case. It might be a BIOS problem.
You can try a patch for your video chipset (intel 852/855). Try this URL

http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855patch.html

	download the 855patch.tar.gz and do something like ;

tar xfzv 855patch.tar.gz
cd 855patch
make
su
cp 855patch /sbin
/sbin/855patch 16384       // or 10000   (this solved my problem).
	Then reboot and stare at !! Good Luck

	---Tapas