LILO and Zone Alarm

Jon Glueckstein jglueckstein at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 02:27:45 UTC 2004

Problem resolved.

I had a few facts about the system incorrect in my original message.
Years ago, I had put Redhat 6.1 on the system, as I said.  I dual booted
RH 6.1 and Windows 98 using LILO.

I'm not the primary user of this computer, so I had forgotten what was
on it.  In November, I had upgraded to Fedora Core 1, and switched over
to GRUB.  The weird thing is, after installing the Zone Alarm firewall
for Windows 98, and rebooting, the letters "LI" came up as if LILO were
trying to load, and then the system froze.

After exchanging a few emails with Rick Stevens off-list, I think I
solved the problem.  All of the grub files in my /boot/grub directory
were fine.  I simply needed to execute
grub-install /dev/hda
to get everything working again.  Zone Alarm must have done something to
the MBR to confuse grub.

One more odd thing to note:  When I tried issuing the command
grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda
grub worked, but the grub menu didn't come up.  I had to run it in
command line mode.  I had to rerun grub-install without the
--root-directory switch to get it to use the menu.

Rick, thanks a lot for the help.

Regards,
Jon Glueckstein