Wireless Linux Notebook - HOWTO needed

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 21:35:34 UTC 2004

On 01 Nov 2004 11:22:15 -0500, chuck slate <chuck at cslate.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm very interested in getting my RH 9 notebook up and running on my
> internal wireless network.
>
> Can anybody point me to a good howto to get the process started?
>
> Can anybody recommend a good combination of NIC and Router?
>
> Can anybody confirm which versions of 802.11 are currently supported?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Chuck

I was out in Ca about 1.5 years ago and my friend was running RH9 with
an Orinoco nic, it worked great with all the coffeeshops and places he
would go to that had wireless.  I think it was G.  RH9 should support
G, I wouldn't go back any earlier, it probably wouldn't save you
any/much $$ anyway.  All the G's should be backwards-compatible to
whatever is available anyway.  So you go one place that has one speed,
and another that is B or whatever.  This was a Dell Latitude.  What
box do you have?

Router wise, I personally dig Belkins.  I have never seen a bad
Belkin, they don't lock you into buying only their stuff (like other
co.'s do with repeaters etc) and they are the only ones that I saw
last time I checked, that had a LIFETIME guarantee.

also check out

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

http://tuxmobil.org/

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO.html

HTH
--
Marc

Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.
Ayn Rand