PHP Source files

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Nov 18 18:13:22 UTC 2004

roger at audiblefaith.com wrote:
>>The primary problem you have is that the PHP development RPM contains
>>virtually all of the things PHP can do (essentially, the "./configure"
>>part of the build has everything turned on), hence the need for all of
>>the "-devel" RPMs.
>

> I actually did go through and modify the ./configure section of the .spec file and removed things I don't need such as Postgres, but it still required the postgres devel RPM. Odd...

Did you also delete the ODBC stuff?  That may require the postgres
stuff, as it'd build an ODBC driver for it.  Was it looking for
libraries or headers when it barfed?

BTW, Roger, we prefer 72-character lines if possible.

>>I'm not clear as to why you're doing a source install unless you need to
>>tweak PHP in some manner.  For most folk, the normal binary RPMs are
>>adequate.  Red Hat/Fedora/whoever are kind enough to build binary RPMs
>>containing various various capabilities of PHP in bite-sized chunks so
>>you don't have to install the whole lot.  The same is true of the Perl
>>RPMs and several others.
>

> There are functions I need that are not included in the default RPM for redhat. Really I should have installed PHP from source initially rather than the RPM route and will for future builds, but I'm proceeding using this as a learning experience for me with the whole RPM system.

Ah.  Which functions do you need?  Would one of the add-on PHP RPMs do
the job?  There are at least 9 PHP-related RPMs.

Unfortunately, you chose one of the more elaborate source RPMs to play
with (the X, Gnome, KDE, kernel and Perl ones are more complex).  I've
never subscribed to the notion that the best way to learn to swim is to
jump into the deep end.  I'm more of a kiddie-pool kind of guy! :-)

"When you're up to your arse in alligators, it's hard to remember that
your job was to drain the swamp!"

> Thanks for the help, I should have this set later this afternoon.

Keep us posted, Rog.
-              "Swap memory error: You lose your mind"               -