GTK problems with FC2

Jason Charles Pinkney j-pinkney at onu.edu
Sun Nov 21 00:24:04 UTC 2004

> Dear Redhatters,
>
> I upgraded my RH 7.3 to
FC2 today.
> I think I have Xorg working because I
> can get a black screen with an "X" after
> I do an "Xorg " command.  And the X moves
with
> my mouse.
>
 > But when I do "startx" I get:
>     /usr/bin/gnome-session: error while loading shared libraries:
> /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0:
>     undefined symbol:
g_type_class_add_private

> I've google'd the above but havn't found the solution.
> The usual recommendation for such errors is to try
> re-installing the program.
> When I do
> # rpm -q --whatprovides libgtk-x11-2.0.so > I get
>     no packages provides libgtk-x11-2.0.so
Try "rpm -qf /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0".  On FC1,
you get:
[root at prophead root]# rpm -qf /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
gtk2-2.2.4-10
> Other sources said that gtk2-2.4.0-1.i386 (among others) should
provide
> the above library.
So I've tried reinstalling gtk2--- like so:
> # rpm -ivh --force gtk2-2.4.0-1.i386.rpm
>   /etc/security/selinux/file_contexts: No such file or directory
>   warning: gtk2-2.4.0-1.i386: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, Key ID 4f2a6f2d
>   g_module_open() failed for /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/
>   svg_loader.so: /usr/lib/librsvg-2.so.2: undefined symbol:
>   g_strsplit_set
>
> Should I try ftping a new gtk rpm in case the one on my CD is flawed?
> (It passed the error checking.)
No, but the proper mechanism is an
update, e.g "rpm -uvh --force". You may also need new Gnome RPMs and
stuff.  Before you go any further, leave it in run level 3 and try "yum
-y update" to make sure the system is updated with the latest stuff.
You may find this fixes the problem.
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer
rstevens at vitalstream.com - - VitalStream, Inc.
http://www.vitalstream.com - -
                          - -            We look for things.  Things
that make us go!

Dear Rick,
the "yum" suggestion was a good one (I hadn't used yum
before).  I used "yum install [programname]" on gnome-session,
gtk2, pango, and xorg - all of the programs that I thought were
related to my problem.   But, amazingly, I get the same error message
when I run startx.

Other possible clues:
1. this was an upgrade not an install so it seems clear that some
  remnant of the old OS is interfering.
2. When I do "X -xf86config /etc/X11/xorg.new.conf"
  I get an X-cursor that I can control with the mouse, but the
  background is completely black.  Isn't this supposed to be a
  TWM manager with at least one xterm window up?
3. The error message:
   /etc/security/selinux/file_contexts: No such file or directory
   appeared many times during the execution of yum.

Any other suggestions to fix my gnome-session problem?

thanks much for the help!
Jason Pinkney