RPMBuild error

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Nov 22 17:58:56 UTC 2004

Roger Harrell wrote:
>> Gee, hmmm.  I was looking at an FC1 system.  Lessee...no, libgcc is the
>> RPM that supplies it on RH7.3 so I guess it's the same for you.  Try
>>
>>     ls /lib/libgcc_s*
>>
>> and see if that library actually exists on your system.  If not, you may
>> need to install a different RPM, but which one it would be I don't know.
>> If it does exist, you may need to do an "ldconfig -v" and watch the
>> output to see if the library gets processed.
>>
>> I get:
>> /lib/libgcc_s-3.2.2-20030225.so.1
>> /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Hmmm.  That looks OK to me.  Did you do an "ldconfig -v" yet?  If not,
>> try "ldconfig -v | grep libgcc" and verify the library is seen by the
>> linker.
>>
>> ldconfig -v | grep libgcc
>>         libgcc_s.so.1 -> libgcc_s-3.2.2-20030225.so.1
>>
>> ???
>> Looks like it's seeing it, so why would it fail?
>>
>> I don't know unless, for some odd reason, "/lib" is being omitted from
>> the link command line.  Seems rather odd.  Could you repost the last
>> few lines of the build, especially the one that contains the "ld"
>> command?
>

> Here it is. If you need preceding lines I'll have to run it again as I
> don't have them saved anywhere. Let me know.
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s

That line looks way wrong.  I can understand "cannot find libgcc_s.so",
but not one with the "-l" in front.
Uh, check the Makefile.  It looks like somewhere in there it's doing
an "-l -lgcc_s".  It may be from a macro, so check those, too.  Check
for "EXTRALIBS" or something like that and make sure it just has "gcc_s"
in it, not preceeded by "-l".  A quick check would be by going to the
top level directory of the source and:

	grep -r "-lgcc" *

If you find such a beast, make sure you squawk it via bugzilla.

> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [php] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/php-4.2.2/build-cgi'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.47783 (%build)
-    Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward getting   -
-    medicated for it.      -- Jim Evarts (http://www.TopFive.com)   -