RPMBuild

roger at audiblefaith.com roger at audiblefaith.com
Mon Nov 22 19:28:48 UTC 2004

>Well, sorta.  If you install a ".src.rpm", you don't end up with source
>that you do the normal "./configure;make;make install" operations.  The
>source ends up in "/usr/src/redhat", with files distributed among the
>various directories in there.  To make a batch of files that you can
>do the "./configure;make;make install", you have to go to the
>"/usr/src/redhat/SPECS" directory and run:
>
>     rpmbuild -bp name-of-spec-file
>
>This will unpack the source and apply any patches that RedHat has made.
>The resulting source will be in a directory >in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.
>That directory can be copied to whereever you wish via
>
>     # cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
>     # cp -a directory-name destination-directory
>
>THEN you can do the "./configure;make;make install".  If you want to
>create an installable source RPM and the binary, you can bypass all of
>that guano and
>
>     # rpmbuild --rebuild name-of-src.rpm

Going back to an earlier post on this subject. I've made some progress and was able to get rpmbuild -bp php.spec to run. So now I have a patched php-4.2.2 under /usr/src/redhat/BUILD. So I can do a configure/make/make install.

Now my concern before proceeding is how this is going to impact with the RPM install of PHP. Since this was built from the .src.rpm of the same version should it update the existing PHP? What do I need to do/worry about here?

Background:
I have php-4.2.2-17.2.i386.rpm installed
I just installed php-4.2.2-17.2.src.rpm modified the php.spec (not that it matters because I modified the configure portion) and ran rpmbuild -bp php.spec. I want to run configure/make/make install on my new php-4.2.2 but am concerned about the impact on the installed RPM version.

Thanks,
Roger