RPMBuild error

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Nov 23 18:00:50 UTC 2004

roger at audiblefaith.com wrote:
>>>/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
>>
>>That line looks way wrong.  I can understand "cannot find libgcc_s.so",
>>but not one with the "-l" in front.
>>Uh, check the Makefile.  It looks like somewhere in there it's doing
>>an "-l -lgcc_s".  It may be from a macro, so check those, too.  Check
>>for "EXTRALIBS" or something like that and make sure it just has "gcc_s"
>>in it, not preceeded by "-l".  A quick check would be by going to the
>>top level directory of the source and:
>>
>>   grep -r "-lgcc" *
>>
>>If you find such a beast, make sure you squawk it via bugzilla.
>

> Only thing grep came up with was in the BUILD/php-4.2.2/configure file:
>   LIBS="$LIBS -lgcc"
>
>  on line 9391

Well, that doesn't appear to be it, since it's only "-lgcc" and not
"-lgcc_s".  I can see how the error might be caused by that if $LIBS
is empty.  I suspect the ld line in Makefile is something like:

	ld -o something -l $LIBS object1.o object2.o...

If $LIBS was empty at the configure, the line would end up something
like:

	ld -o something -l -lgcc object1.o object2.o...

And the "-l -lgcc" would cause an error.  But again, the line you cite
above is "-lgcc" and not "-lgcc_s".   Hmmmmm.

> The rpmbuild gets through the build stage, but can't configure.

I'm not sure exactly how you mean.  Usually the configure step is before
the build.  I think you mean it gets past the "prep" stage (untarring
and patching source).  In a nutshell, an rpmbuild goes like this:

%prep
	untar
	patch
%build
	configure
	make
%install
	make install

Can you clue me in again on which source RPM this is again?  I'll
probably need to try to do it myself to see what's going on.

Don't worry, we'll get this licked somehow, Roger.
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -