Seagate STT3401A on FC2

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 28 20:25:59 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 02:41:28PM -0600, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 09:53:59AM -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > Bob McClure Jr wrote:
> > ><among other things>
> > >
> > >Here's an interesting thing about my tape.  After a reboot, an attempt
> > >to back up to it results in a failure like "device busy" or some
> > >such, but the next and all following work fine.  When I upgraded to
> > >FC2, I think that problem went away.  I don't recall.  I don't reboot
> > >that much. :-)
> >
> > Yes, IDE tapes are normally "/dev/htx" or "/dev/nhtx".  SCSI tapes are
> > "/dev/stx" and "/dev/nstx".
> >
> > Bob, you might try "mt -i /dev/ht0 rewoffl" first (rewind and eject).
>
> Umm, perhaps you meant "mt -f /dev/ht0 rewoffl"?  The man page doesn't
> document a "-i" option.
>
> > Sometimes that initializes the drive adequately to prevent such
> > issues.
>
> Cool.  I'll give it a try.

> > - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
> > - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
> > -                                                                    -
> > -    Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward getting   -
> > -    medicated for it.      -- Jim Evarts (http://www.TopFive.com)   -
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Bob McClure, Jr.

FYI, it didn't work.  Had a power outage Thursday morning and shut
everything down.  Then booted up when power came back.  Yesterday, I
did the suggested "mt -f /dev/ht0 rewoffl", which ran without
complaint.  This morning's backup report was:

backup started at Sun Nov 28 04:25:38 CST 2004
afio: "/dev/nht0" [offset 5m+880k+0]: Fatal error:
afio: "/dev/nht0": Input/output error
backup finished at Sun Nov 28 04:26:47 CST 2004

I re-ran it in the background (with an "at" command) and it worked
fine, as it will every subsequent time until it's rebooted again.
It's not a problem anymore on my other machine that I've upgraded to
FC2.  Gotta get that done on this one Real Soon Now.

Hope you had a happy turkey (day).

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Grace happens.