configuiring an ADSL connexion

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Oct 4 22:51:21 UTC 2004

othman El Moulat wrote:
> Hi Guys;
>     I'm using redhat linux 9 and facing troubles to configure an ADSL
> internet connexion.
>     Here is the situation:
>         I have a Modem: Sagem Fast800 for adsl connexion 128K...this one is
> working fine with my Windows partition Box...
>         I want to switch to the Magnificent world of RedHat...
>         I tried to Install the driver for this Modem by following the
> installing  instructions : http://www.sagem.fr/en/index.html
>        it seems that the driver is installed succefully (as this is the
> message i got after executing the command: $./InstallAll linux-myditro)...
> i'm now stuck at this point! i don't know how to proceed after this step!
> i tried the following command:
>  $adsl-setup
>
> i followed the instructions (even though i'm not sure about the exact
> parameters i should enter)
> for example i choosed eth0 as the first parameter...
> After completing this step i typed: $adsl-start
> but without success :-(
>
>       can any one describe me an easy way to configure my connexion (details
> would be very helpfull)

First, the software should be installed with you logged in as the root
user...not your mortal self.  The fact you're showing a "$" as your
prompt indicates that you are NOT logged in as root (you'd have a "#"
prompt in that case).  Remember that the root user in Unix/Linux is
equivalent to the "Administrator" user under Windows.

To verify that the device driver is loaded, you need to "lsmod" as the
root user and see if the correct driver is loaded.

The odds are that the device you want is ppp0, not eth0.  ethx is
reserved for ethernet devices, pppX is used for serial- or USB-
connected devices.
-               500: Internal Fortune Cookie Error                   -