Ethernet interface

Kenneth Tindle ktindle at uky.edu
Tue Oct 5 19:56:03 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

I have a RH9 machine with three ethernet interfaces.  I was using
eth0 assigned to a wired interface, now I have to switch it to
a wireless interface.

I did have "BOOTPROTO=static" in
the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file.  Foolishly,
I thought this config would not "leak" anywhere else- this is Linux,
so there is no mystery Registry.  So I merrily switch back to
"BOOTPROTO=dhcp", and...

ifconfig shows the static address for eth0!  No matter what I do
now, eth0 and that initial static IP are locked tightly together
and will not let go.  Yes, this does persist through reboots and
machine turn-offs.

So, where on disk did the initial setting for eth0 go?  I've gotta
clobber it, or I'm stuck tight.

--
Learning Linux is like joining a cult.  Sure it's fun at first but you waste
time, become brainwashed, and then have to be de-programmed by Bill Gates
- Ray Lopez, in UFhK4.33289$y4.1192894 at newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net