Updating kernel source with yum, How?

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sat Oct 9 02:40:32 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Stevens" <rstevens at vitalstream.com>
To: "Getting started with Red Hat Linux" <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2004 7:32 AM
Subject: Re: Updating kernel source with yum, How?

> Graeme Nichols wrote:

>>>"yum update kernel-source" should work, but only if you have the
>>>kernel source installed in the first place.  Remember that "update" only
>>>updates packages you have installed.  If you must install it first, try
>>>"yum install kernel-source".
>>

>> Hello Rick, many thanks. I used 'yum install kernel-source' and got the
>> response 'kernel-source already installed and the latest version' or
>> words to that effect. I know that the 2.6.8-1.521 source was not
>> installed when I upgraded the kernel because of the short time upgrading
>> to that version. I googled for the source and downloaded
>> kernel-2.6.8-1.521.src.rpm and 'installed' it (rpm -ivh
>> kernel-2.6.8-1.521.src.rpm). It installed in the blink of an eye and I
>> cannot find where it is. 'find / -name linux-2.6.8-1.521' comes up with
>> nothing.
>
> There was a glitch in the FC2 name tree and the kernel source RPM for
> that release didn't make it into the right spot--it got put in the
> "noarch" tree.  A "yum install kernel-source*" may grab it (note the
> "*" at the end)
>
> Installing via RPM should have put the source in
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.8-1.521

Yes, that is what I expected but it isn't there. Only the source for the
kernel that came standard with the distro, 2.6.4.

>> The reason I wanted to install the source is to try and get alsa
>> working. Upgrading to the above kernel clobbered my sound so I thought
>> that moving to alsa would be the go.
>
> Uh, kernel 2.6 uses ALSA by default.

Yep, that what I believed.

>> Perhaps you can steer me in the right direction. As far as I understand
>> the alsa drivers are part of the 2.6 kernels. FC2 has alsa-utils-1.0.3
>> and alsa-libs-1.0.3 installed. How the heck do I get alsa working. My
>> sound is onboard 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller.
>> modprobe.conf has sndintel8x0 as the driver, which is correct but I
>> can't get sound working. Do I need to install alsa-driver-1.0.3? (I
>> tried but it won't compile) or is there some config file I need to set
>> up?
>
> First, are the drivers loaded?  Does "lsmod" show them as loaded?

Yes, but there is no sign of them being loaded in dmesg which I find
strange.

> If the drivers are loaded, have you tried opening up the volume control
> to see if all of the sliders are up?  Right-click on the speaker icon on
> the menubar or select "RedHatIcon->Sound & Video->Volume Control".

Yes,  also using alsamixer.

> If the drivers aren't loaded, try "system-config-soundcard" and see if
> the system spots your card.

Yes, the soundcard is detected and I could play the test sound BEFORE I
tried to compile alsa-drivers-1.0.3 (which failed). Since then it detects
the sound card but I cannot play the test sound and it exits, after I reply
'no, didn't hear the sound', with a message that says to the effect, 'Sorry,
nothing I can do.' I cannot get any answers from the alsa mailing list on
how to get sound working or on how to go back to OSS.

I was hoping that installing the kernel source would supply the needed (if
they are indeed needed) headers etc. so the alsa drivers would work. But
even the kernel source rpm hasn't installed, not to my HD anyway, although
rpm -qi linux-2.6.8-1.521 says it is installed.

Sound has always been a pain in Linux right from RH 6.1 (where I started)
and nothing seems to have improved. Still black magic and good luck :-)

If you have any more things to try I sure would like to hear what you reckon
I should do, Uh., politely please :-)

Regards,

Graeme.

ps. I'm on XP and OE at the moment because of this sound problem.